A new update (1.05) for World in Flames has been released providing, among other things, a fix for a serious save restoration glitch.
• Added more information to the error message when the program is unable to access the Seeking Opponent database. This helps identify the underlying problem.
• Fixed a problem in the reinforcement phase where if a carrier air unit were loaded onto a carrier and then repositioned elsewhere, it was not removed from the first carrier and ended up appearing in multiple locations.
• Added code to restrict the placement of new factories on the map to home countries.
• Removed conditional clauses that may have left a flag mistakenly set so the message “Please wait, updating Units in Hex panel.” would appear and never go away. This problem effectively halted play.
• Fixed a fatal problem with Production when using Unlimited Breakdown and there were units in the Breakdown Pool that had to be reformed. The program does not permit a corps/army unit to remain in the Breakdown Pool if there are divisions in that pool which can be used to reform the corps/army.
• Fixed a typo in the code that was causing a fatal error when using 3 monitors.
Creative Assembly have decided to add a new playable faction to Total War: Rome II. Baktria, (AKA: That new faction in several Rome: Total War mods) is another descendent faction of Alexander the Great's conquest and it blends Greek and Eastern units.
A new expansion for Unity of Command has been announced. Black Turn is to take place before the Stalingrad campaign, focusing on the beginning of Operation Barbarossa.
* The story of the 1941 Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union in 13 suspenseful scenarios.
* Campaign extends into what-if territory, pitting the Wehrmacht against extreme odds.
* Separate Soviet scenarios, about the two winter offensives which brought the Nazis to a halt.
* New early-war units, including Axis allies from Romania, Hungary, Italy, Finland and Slovakia
The expansion is expected to be released on December 10th.
In the first few months of 2014 we’ll open the game up to beta testing and shift over to ‘tweak and polish’ mode – where we’ll remain for a loooong time. I’ve noted in both the original Kickstarter pitch and subsequent updates that the goal with AtG is not just to make a strategy game that not only breaks new ground but also one that is polished at release. This recipe calls for one key ingredient which has no substitute: time.
AtG could be released as originally planned in mid-2014 as a ‘good’ game. But would it be one of the best strategy games ever? Probably not. As such, I’ve made the decision to push back AtG’s release until 2015.
I know this is disappointing news, but at the end of the day what we all want is a great game, and our team is willing to stick with AtG as long as it takes to get there. This kind of flexibility is only possible because our funding comes from your generosity, and while painful in the short term it will no doubt pay off over the long term. I think I speak for everyone in saying that what we want is an amazing game, even if it means a longer wait.
* 13 new cities from Marseilles to Portugal expand the game world by 50%
* Residence missions: family members contact the player with tasks to earn special benefits
* Doge tasks challenge even the most experienced players. Can you triumph in trade war with Venice's archenemy Genoa and its allies?
* New ship type: command the famous NAO ship class
* Numerous improvements and optimizations based on Rise of Venice player feedback
Europa Barbarorum II, a mod for Medieval II: Total War which recreates the famous Europa Barbarorum mod in Medieval II's game engine has been considered vaporware for some time now. However, it seems that an alpha release might actually be around the corner.
In the next few weeks, the team will start looking for play-testers to search for bugs, historical errors, and balance issues. Longtime, trusted and motivated forum members, or those that can contribute to the modification in the future are those most likely to be selected. Our internal roadmap is aiming for a release a few months after play-testing.
An exact date is not known, save that it is targeted in the next months.